Thursday, April 18, 2013

Intro to the bridle, loaded saddle bag.

Two great lessons between yesterday and today. We have been continuing all basic handling manners (handling feet, ears, leading at the respectful distance, ect) daily. Yesterday, after playing around with her back and laying across it a few times, I placed the western saddle on her and attached an old grain bag full of milk jugs to it. Every time she took a step the bag moved and made all kinds of strange noises. At first, she thought that it would be best not to move at all! I did have her trotting on the lunge line and then turned her loose in the large paddock to play with the others. Riah thought that playing with the bag was great fun and was helpful in making sure that it made LOTS of noise for Cece! Late I took the baggy whip out and had them all trotting and cantering around. Cece seemed to completely forget that she was wearing the silly thing.
Today I introduced Cece to the bridle. We practiced bending and giving to pressure. She is picking up on what I want her to do rather quickly! She is much more comfortable with me rubbing her face and forelock, but still doesn't care for her ears being played with too much. Pretty typical for a young horse. We will continue to work on it. I also laid across her back several times and swung my leg up to her hindquarters multiple times. This didn't seem to phase her. Actually today I was very happy with how relaxed she was and quiet while I tried to push her typical buttons to no avail! It was VERY windy and she was excellent! Definite progress! 

Cece forgot that she was even wearing the silly bag;
my parents new horse trailer was far more intriguing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment