Wednesday, April 3, 2013

1st Day with Christmas Candy!

Today Christmas Candy, a 2009 Registered Haflinger mare arrived here on the farm. We will be preparing her this spring for her career as a riding horse! Her name is a mouthful to say, so my first goal was to come up with a barn name for her. My mother mentioned Cece and I think that it fits this modern type, stylish and athletic girl! I like her already. The temperature is dropping  tonight and miss Cece doesn't have much winter coat left. The problem is, she has never worn a blanket and hasn't had much handling at all!  My mom and I headed out expecting a fight, but Cece impressed us both with her willingness and level headedness. With just a few minutes of rubbing her with a saddle pad my mom was able to place it on and off her back and shortly after I had the blanket on her and was leading her around with it strapped down snug. We were careful to wait until she told us she was ready for it. Reading your horse is so very important in training; pushing her to accommodate my schedule would only create an unsafe mount rather than a happy and willing riding partner!  I'll post pictures tomorrow. Follow along to see her progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment