Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Brea's first day, Cece's 4th ride

Cece was by far the best that she has ever been about being tacked up. She ground tied and stood still while I groomed her, picked up her feet (multiple times!) and threw her saddle on. She only lifted her head once when I went to put her bridle on and then relaxed and lowered her head into it. I also made progress on lifting her back feet. The first half of our ride was uneventful. Brea was all riled up because we were riding in the paddock adjacent hers and she is still settling into our routines. She called and cantered back and forth along the fence. Cece was a little excited, but was pretty good about obeying my cues. Halfway through the ride she did pull some silly baby stuff with me. By the end of the ride she was walking quietly, but I will continue to repeat lessons until she will obey and trust me even with distractions.
Brea impressed me greatly with her eager to please attitude and sweetness. I think that she will prove to be an easygoing horse to work with. This morning we spent some time getting to know each other through a grooming session. She let me rub down her whole body and lower legs and picked up her front feet as if she had been doing it for years. We practiced yielding her hind and forequarters. Excellent! I even grabbed a saddle pad and placed it on her back several times. She didn't even blink!

No comments:

Post a Comment