Friday, May 10, 2013

1st Official Ride- 2 days ago! 2nd ride today!

Getting acclimated while being led by Belle.

Loose and fancy free!

Nice lowering of her head
 
I know that it has been far too long since I have been updating the blog, but we have been hard at work! Cece has really settled in here. She loves to hang out with Belle and Riah. When our giant mud puddle dried , she took to playing in the water trough! Every time I enter the pasture, she greets me eagerly. Daily I have been working with her and the saddle and bridle. She has spent a good deal of time being led around the paddocks with me in the saddle by various family members on foot. Belle and my mom have also been kind enough to pony us.
A couple of days ago after Belle (she is such a good babysitter!)was done leading Cece and I around, we detached the lead rope and went solo! Cece has a nice stop and she is moving off my leg well with just a little verbal cueing. Her first ride, she backed 3 full steps for me!!
Today was a no nonsense ride- I lunged her around briefly and climbed aboard. She handled it like a champ despite the fact that being independent and not being able to see me is a little unnerving for her. She startled ever so slightly a few minutes into the ride- a perfect moment for a young horse to blow up or panic because they realize that "There is a rider on my back AND a dragon in the bush! Aahh!" She didn't panic as I expected! She stiffened and kind of mini hopped just once, but within a stride or two she was relaxed again-what a good and smart girl!!! She reads her rider well- if you let her know that there is no reason to get excited, she believes you! I am looking forward to spending some quality under saddle time with this girl over the next few weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment